Friday, February 17, 2006


Taste

On the way to work today I was listening to the Jose Gonzalez cd, Veneer. I was thinking, "Hey, I should make a copy of this for someone. It's so beautiful."

Jose Gonzalez is from Sweden and supposedly very big there. He and Jens Lekman both.

Anyway, I was trying to figure out who I should make the copy for. I thought of a couple of people. People who I think have really good taste in music. I thought if they have "good taste" in music, how could they not like something that is this good.

Then I thought about how that sometimes doesn't work. How two people with very good, refined taste in music could not find the beauty in each other's favorite songs.

I thought, maybe it was like a literal "taste" like in foods. I HATE onions. I cannot eat them without feeling like I want to throw up. So if someone makes the most AMAZING French Onion soup I can't ever think it tastes good.

Nah. I don't think it's the same kinda thing. I think if you can't hear the beauty in songs that are considered brilliant, you really don't have good taste in music. You can't tell what is good and what isn't. That doesn't mean you don't LOVE music. It just means you don't really know what "good" music is.

No comments: